Reporting to the Operations Manager, supervised by the Mechanical Shop Foreman, the Heavy Equipment Technician is responsible for supporting the NorthStar Mechanical team. They will utilize their mechanical expertise to support the needs of the branch in a professional, safe and timely manner. An individual in this position will work to keep all equipment in peak running condition through an effective preventative maintenance program and a detailed repair schedule. This position is an integral part of the service team with expectations of providing an exceptional customer service experience.
- Follow a consistent and regular schedule to perform various types of maintenance on small and heavy construction equipment and various pieces of machinery.
- Test repaired equipment for proper performance and ensure that work done meets manufacturer’s specifications.
- Ability to diagnose and troubleshoot fuel, electrical, hydraulic and propane/NG systems.
- Complete oil changes, lubrication of equipment, tire replacements, hose repairs, battery replacements and assorted services.
- Recondition and replace assorted parts on all equipment.
- Diagnose problem areas for any significant wear or tear on the equipment.
- Maintain work area in a clean and organized manner.
- Produce timely and detailed service reports and repair logs.
- Assist with on-site service calls to inspect, service and repair rental equipment as needed.
- Live our CORE Values, have a Can-Do Attitude, Respect Others, Succeed as a Team, Lead with Courage and Deliver Results.
- Perform additional job related assignments as directed by supervisor.
- Adhere to NorthStar Equipment Rentals policies and procedure.
- This is a safety sensitive position.
- Possess a High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Must have a clean and valid class 5 Alberta driver’s license.
- Red Seal Heavy Duty Equipment Technician certification is preferred.
- Strong communication, analytical skills and have a flexible approach to problem solving.
- Willingness to participate with an on-call system and be able to work overtime as required.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with a variety of tasks in an effective, organized, safe manner with the ability to multitask.
- 3 -5 years of experience repairing, maintaining and operating assorted construction equipment, compaction equipment, aerial equipment, generators, air compressors, pumps and safety equipment.
- A valid first aid certificate and welding experience would be an asset.
- Must be organized and able to work without direct supervision.
- Must be able to work both indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions.